An independent community bank beginning with a dream of 14 founders 125 years ago, Orange Bank and Trust through innovation and commitment to its community, now has an asset level in excess of $900 million and is recognized by Bauer Financial, Inc., as one of the Nations’ strongest financial institutions with a 5-Star, Superior Bank rating.
PART OF THE COMMUNITY SINCE 1892
- The Bank was founded by 14 public-spirited citizens who saw a need for a bank which would feature estate planning and trust administration, as well as traditional banking services. May 2, 1892, the Bank opened its doors for business on North Street in Middletown, New York, under the name of the Orange County Trust and Safe Deposit Company–still etched above the top windows of the building–a branch to this day.
- In 1905, the name was changed to Orange County Trust Company and was the first commercial bank in Middletown to pay interest.
- In 1933, the Bank’s stockholders put up double the value of their stock in order to keep the Bank solvent and its doors open throughout the Great Depression.
- In 1955, as the community grew, the Bank grew and a second branch opened on RT 211 in the Town of Wallkill. In 1977, it was replaced by the new, larger, Trust Way Branch.
- In 1969, the Bank added the Dolson Avenue Office, which was replaced in 1991 with a larger building which became the headquarters in 1999.
- In 1995, the Bank extended its reach beyond the Middletown area to the Town of Montgomery and continued to identify opportunities to expand through the following years, establishing branches in Vails Gate in 2001, Chester and Goshen in 2009, Newburgh in 2010 and Fishkill in 2011.
- In 2012, parent company Orange County Bancorp, Inc. acquired Hudson Valley Investment Advisors Inc., blending the Bank’s Trust/Estate administrative capabilities with the investment management services of Hudson Valley Investment Advisors.
- In 2015 and 2016 the Bank expanded beyond Orange and Dutchess County by adding branches in both Rockland and Westchester.
- In 2016 the Bank changed its name to Orange Bank & Trust Company to better position the bank for the future to remain independent, while expanding into other markets in order to grow the Bank.
- In 2017 the Bank celebrated it's 125th Anniversary by dedicating the Dolson Avenue Headquarters to the Morrison Family. The Family Name was added to the front of the building and a plaque was added to the wall at the front entrance.